NASCAR

NASCAR
Your heart will pound. Your seat will shake. Your vision will blur. And every second of every lap will stay with you forever. Nothing compares to the NASCAR Experience live

NASCAR

NASCAR
CLICKON PICTURE

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Jimmie Johnson: There's pressure on the points leader, even before the Chase

Jimmie Johnson: There's pressure on the points leader, even before the Chase

Aug. 17, 2012

By Reid Spencer
NASCAR Wire Service

BROOKLYN, Mich. -- With a third-place finish last Sunday at Watkins Glen International, Jimmie Johnson accomplished a goal -- taking over the lead in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series standings.

"To be able to leave the Glen with the points lead is something I really wanted to do," Johnson said Friday at Michigan International Speedway, site of Sunday's Pure Michigan 400. "To be in this position and feel the pressure that comes with leading the points. . . . in years past, I think we've learned a lot from it and have entered the Chase better prepared."

But pressure? There's no prize for leading the points after 26 races. Four weeks hence at 
Richmond, the Chase for the Sprint Cup field will be reset according to number of victories, and the regular-season points lead will be moot.

That's not the way Johnson sees it.

"It's not the same pressure as the Chase, but a points leader is a points leader," Johnson told the NASCAR Wire Service. "And when you look at all the events we've had and what's going on, there's a lot of prestige involved with it. It means you're running well.  

"So we're again glad to be there. Hopefully, we can stay on top and ideally pull away and continue to gain more points than anyone else and be in that rhythm and mind-set entering the Chase."

Nor would Johnson mind seeing some sort of recognition for leading the standings after 26 races.

"It's a huge accomplishment to win the regular-season points championship," Johnson said. "I don't even think you get a sticker for it or anything. . . . I'm sure the monetary side would be amazing, but we would all be happy with a little $5 trophy that you won the regular-season championship.

"So a T-shirt would be nice -- anything. You could even work up an argument that there's some type of bonus points that could be awarded to the regular-season champion that carries over, or something in the seed process, or pit road pick -- I don't know. You dream up something there that would be nice for the champion."

BUDDING TYCOON?

Dale Earnhardt Jr. started his automotive career working in his father's dealership.

Now he runs his own.

The Hendrick Automotive Group recently bought two dealerships in Tallahassee, Fla., that are branded in the name of Cup racing's most popular driver: Dale Earnhardt Jr. Chevrolet and Dale Earnhardt Jr. Buick/GMC/Cadillac.

"Me and (team owner) Rick (Hendrick) had talked about this for a long time," Earnhardt said. "Quite a lot. Extensively. We were just waiting on the right opportunity. Dealerships are challenging and quite fickle. Depends on the market. We knew we would have an opportunity if we were patient."

Earnhardt had a strange sense of deja vu when he met with his new employees.

"That was going to be my profession if I hadn't been a race car driver," Earnhardt said. "I was going to work in a dealership as a mechanic or something. That was what I did to pay my power bill for four years, so that was what it was all about for me at one point. It was pretty weird standing in the service department talking to all my employees when I used to work in one myself.

"I never imagined that day would come. I'm excited about it. I will be hands-on, be involved quite heavily. Through the experiences I had with my dad owning the one in Newton, N.C., I'm excited to sort of carve my own path and enjoy that same experience he enjoyed, and make it successful."

Earnhardt won't have to depend on the income from his dealerships any time soon. Hendrick Motorsports announced Friday that the Army National Guard was renewing its sponsorship of Earnhardt's No. 88 Chevrolet for the 2013 season.

EDWARDS ENJOYED THE FINISH AT THE GLEN

Yes, there was oil on the track during the closing laps at Watkins Glen, but NASCAR's decision not to throw a caution on the final circuit helped produce one of the most compelling finishes of the season.

Race winner Marcos Ambrose and runner-up Brad Keselowski did the rest. Their all-out battle enthralled veteran driver Carl Edwards, who couldn't stop watching replays of the final lap.

"As frustrating as it was for some drivers to not have the caution thrown, it was very, very entertaining," Edwards said. "I really enjoyed watching it. That's a rarity for me. I don't usually go home and watch videos of the race I was just in 10 times in a row.

"That was a very exciting race. I think that in the end, for the sport, NASCAR did a good job letting everybody figure it out on their own. I don't know all the things that led up to that decision or lack of decision to throw a caution, but I think it worked out in favor of good entertainment."

No comments: