NASCAR

NASCAR
Your heart will pound. Your seat will shake. Your vision will blur. And every second of every lap will stay with you forever. Nothing compares to the NASCAR Experience live

NASCAR

NASCAR
CLICKON PICTURE

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Glen Wood extends 68-Year Daytona attendance streak

Glen Wood extends 68-Year Daytona attendance streak: Last Thursday at Daytona International Speedway, Wood Brothers Racing was preparing their famed #21 Motorcraft/Quick Lane NASCAR Sprint Cup car for the second of two Budweiser Duel qualifying races. But something, or more accurately someone, was missing. "Win, lose or draw, no matter what happens in this race, I'm going to go get daddy and bring him down here," said team co-owner Eddie Wood, of his legendary Hall Of Fame father, Glen Wood. Wood had never missed a Daytona 500 in its 55-year history, dating back to 1947 when the cars ran on the old Daytona Beach course that included Highway A1A and the sands of "The World's Most Famous Beach." According to the Woods, Glen's attendance at this year's Daytona 500 was questionable all along. Travel is not as easy as it once was for the 88-year-old, and Virginia got hammered by severe winter weather in recent weeks, making the trip even more daunting. Said the elder Wood about his 68th consecutive February trip to Daytona Speedweeks, "I think it means more to my family, or at least to Len and Eddie, because I've been here so many times. I told them I'm getting old and it (the streak) has to stop sometime, but they told me it wasn't going to be this year. Eddie called and said he had it all figured out, so how could I refuse? I knew I needed to come in a sense, but when (my wife) Bernice said she wasn't going to come, I made up my mind that I would stay home. But now, I'm glad I'm here."(Godfather Motorsports)(2-26-2014)

No comments: